Good morning!!!! I love rest days…sort off 😉 Wooo…I just need to learn how to actually rest. Do y’all experience that on your days “off?” I miss my routine and feel like I should be scarfing down amazing oats and running off to the gym. However, I’m trying to take today to cook some stuff ahead for the week to use the time that I’d normally be working out.
I started off getting ready for our big Super Bowl PAR-TAY by trying to make as much ahead of time as possible so that I can relax and enjoy my guests tonight 😉
Do y’all have “safe foods”…foods that you feel comfortable eating? I definitely do, and it’s when I get out of that circle that Satan attacks my thoughts and they spiral. SO, to avoid that this evening I made some stuff to have. If others’ eat it, great…if not, more for me 😉 I know there’ll be wings and nachos, which are not on my list, so here’s some eats that are…
Tahini Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing
This is a salad dressing with a creamy, thick consistency with a sharp, peppery taste. I may try it on salad later, but tonight I’m using its a (hopefully) delicious dip for vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers). I figured the more veggies around for me, the better. I think this came from Kath, but I can’t remember. I just keep recipes in a “To Make” folder and use them when the time arises.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions: In a food processor, process all ingredients until smooth. Makes about 1.5 cups
I also made some fresh guacamole for veggie dipping…
- 1/2 avocado
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- chipotle chili powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
I also know that there will be free flowing cocktails and beer tonight, which I’m still figuring out how comfortable I feel about. I do love a good cocktail, but I am trying to be so good and detoxed until vacation in March. So, my cocktail will be…
Green (Bay) Juice 😉
- 3/4 cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 organic pink lady apple
- 1/2 cup ice
It’s 5:00 somewhere, right? 😉
There’ll also probably be some sort of dessert, which don’t tempt me as much as they used to, so I’ll be grazing on some…
Black (and Gold) Bean Steel-My-Heart Brownies 😉
Notes: Rolled oats run through the food processor may substituted for the instant oats. Use optional sugar if your bananas are still green and not very ripe.
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 whole bananas
- ⅓ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8×8″ pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.
Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudge-y, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.
Hey, I’m just hoping for a great game, so I have to play it fair when naming my eats today between Green Bay and the Steelers 😉 It’s days like today when I really wish I had a VitaMix. Maybe one day, my dream will come true hehe
Sunday Brunch was ON this morning…
I tackled another Real Simple smoothie…
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat keifer
- 1/2 orange without rind
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- Place the strawberries, keifer, orange, agave, and flaxseed meal in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.
There was also an egg + 1/3 cup egg whites with mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach involved. 😉
And the masterpiece…
Pancake in a Ramekin
- 1/2 cup peanut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp stevia
- a little under 1/2 cup liquid (I did 1/2 almond milk + 1/2 water)
- 2 tablespoons mashed banana
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- a little sexy spice
- Toppings: WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!! I did blueberries, cacao nibs, walnuts, and a few slices of banana. Anything goes!! Make it yours!!
- Mix everything together and pour into a ramekin.
- Cook in an UNpreheated oven at 420 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Then you get to play!! (I added my “toppings” before I put it in the oven, but you could do it afterwards too.)
WOW! And, would you believe it wasn’t super filling. I was afraid it would be too many calories on a rest day for breakfast, but it’s only been 1 hour and it may be snack time soon 😉
Are you watching the game, just the commercials, the half time show, or any of the festivities?